Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

Sense and Sensibility



Author: Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility was anonymously published in 1811.
It was the first of Jane Austen’s novels to be published.

The Main Players: Elinor and Marianne Dashwood (sisters), Mr. Edward Ferrars, Colonel Brandon, Mr. John Willoughby, Miss. Lucy Steele, Mrs. Jennings.

Plot Lines: A sudden bereavement, a visiting relation, a remove to the country, money matters, suitable and unsuitable affairs of the heart, several disappointments, a trip to town, a teenage pregnancy revealed, some timely manipulation and a final resolution.

A Personal Note: I have mentioned Sense and Sensibility before on Too Folk To Be Cool, so I thought it would be apt for it to be the first up on my new *Recommends* segment. I Love Sense and Sensibility, it is one of my favourite books. I read it or listen to it on audio book fairly regularly and I never stop delighting in its well woven tale.
I am also a huge fan of the 1995 film adaptation by Emma Thompson, which was directed by Ang Lee. To read or watch I don’t think you can get any higher in entertainment value.     



First image copyright Pocket Penguin.
Second image anonymous.
Third image copyright Richard Wilkinson.
Fourth image copyright Coralie Bickford-Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment