Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

Taking a Day Off


In my experience, when you work for yourself there is an unending list of things that need to get done. There is always the potential to tick another job off that list so it can get increasingly difficult to justify taking time out to rest, to play and to do something other than just working.

But I find when I do take some planned time-out (even for a couple of hours) it inevitably improves my mood, my perceptions and my long term ability to work in a satisfied and creative manner.

I just seem to forget this every time I get immersed in a new project. Eventually I will go for a walk in some beautiful scenery, go to an exhibition or watch a new film and I will remember why all work and no play makes Sadhbh a dull girl.

Do yourself a favour (I’m also talking to myself here) - make a plan to do something lovely. I would say do something that is your kind of lovely, don’t worry about anyone else. If it feels indulgent to mark this time out for yourself, you are probably the one in most need of it. Every machine needs to be maintained and cared for in order to work effectively. Your mind and body are no different. I think the key is to plan it though, think of it like an important meeting; schedule it, commit to turning up and make the most of the opportunity while you are there.

On that note, I have been promising myself for a while now that I will take some time off and I have finally committed to taking a short holiday next week. Too Folk to be Cool will be quiet for the week also. So as ever, thanks for reading and hopefully I will see you on the other side.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment